EDR, an essential component in a modern protection strategy
Past and current breaches have proven time and again that prevention alone can’t guarantee total protection. As breaches continue to occur, more organizations are looking at EDR (endpoint detection and response) solutions to address incidents that are not handled adequately by existing defenses. EDR solutions are the most promising security tools for addressing this challenge because they can bring immediate visibility to what is happening on an endpoint, allowing security teams to accelerate endpoint threat detection and response.
- chance of
- being breached
Prevention technologies are not perfect. If attackers manage to bypass defenses, they can go unnoticed for weeks or months. This period of "silent failure" spells success for the attackers and potential disaster for the organization.
"ENTERPRISES THAT KNOW COMPROMISE IS INEVITABLE AND ARE LOOKING FOR ENDPOINT-BASED APPROACHES FOR ADVANCED THREAT DETECTION, INVESTIGATION AND RESPONSE CAPABILITIES, SHOULD CONSIDER EDR SOLUTIONS."
NEIL MACDONALD, VP DISTINGUISHED ANALYST, GARTNER RESEARCH
EDR MATURITY MODEL
LEVELS OF PROTECTION
EDR solutions provide the visibility required to find incidents that would otherwise go unnoticed, but they require time and expertise to know what to look for. This is why EDR solutions can vary greatly in scope, complexity and efficacy, as illustrated by the EDR maturity model below.
Reliant on protection, but what about the 1% that slips through?
"Dumb collection" approach where the burden is on the user to search and find meaningful detections with limited response tools
"Native Automation" automatically prioritizes alerts and can prevent if needed, while also giving the security team the flexibility of performing its own custom searches and to take decisive action to respond to and eradicate sophisticated threats
MANAGED DETECTION & RESPONSE
Proactive managed hunting, investigation and response activity on emerging and advanced threats — leveraging rich data using advanced analytics in the hands of a proven and experienced team of threat hunters
Falcon Insight: EDR that empowers the expert and makes it easy for the beginner
Falcon Insight™ is a simple and powerful EDR solution that adapts to your needs, growth and security status. Falcon Insight is a module of the CrowdStrike® Falcon® endpoint protection platform. Falcon Insight acts like a DVR, recording and automatically analyzing activity on the endpoint to catch incidents that evade prevention measures.
If you’re just starting your EDR journey, Falcon Insight instantly and effortlessly delivers the tangible benefits of a mature EDR solution. The lightning fast deployment and built-in automated detections will allow your teams to be operational immediately.
If you’re an EDR expert, Insight will provide the deepest visibility, the fastest and most powerful search capabilities and the complete context and data needed to deliver unprecedented levels of proactive threat hunting.
All users will benefit from powerful response capabilities, allowing them to contain and investigate compromised systems, eradicate threats with surgical precision, and get back to business quickly.
FALCON INSIGHT COMPONENTS
- Automatic behavioral indicators of attack (IOAs)
- Threat intellegence inegration, attack attribution, blocking of known malicious domains, etc
- Managed detection and response
- Network containment of compromised systems
- Remediation of compromised systems via real-time remote response
- Stops malicious activity before it can do damage
- Deploys without hassle: no on-premises management ifrastructure required
- Automatic detections take the work out of EDR by eleminating: the need to figure out what to look for; time-consuming manual searches; the need for fine-tuning, rule writing or complex configurations
- Has zero impact on endpoint performance: deploys in seconds; no reboot; no impact even when analyzing, searching and investigating incidents
- Automatically provides context and full visibility on alerts, making it easy to understand what's going on so you can respond
- Enables decisive action and returns you to business as usual quickly
- Delivers 24/7 state of the art protection without the inherent cost, effort and expertise of an in-house solution
- Guided real-time and historical searches
- Indicator of compromise(IOC) sweeps
- Integration with other security solutions and tools such as SIEMs
- Collection of key data directly from endpoints, including details on running processes, files, the Windows registry and more
- Accelerates incident detection and response
- Provides faster and easier alert triage and suspecious activity validation
- Accelerates investigation
- Complements and take full advantage of existing security tools
- Ensures a complete understanding of the risk and scope of a threat during investigation
- Real-time visibility: Complete oversight of secrity-related endpoint activity, allowing you to shoulder surf adversaries
- Fully customizable real-time and historical searches
- Integration with big data visualization tools via the Falcon Threat Graph™ API
- Enables proactive threat hunting
- Enables proactive security by providing the intellegence, context and analysis that allows you to take preventative actions ahead of attacks
- Enables the exploration of the metadata gathered by Falcon including process execution, network connections, file system activity, user information, service details, script and admin tool usage activities, etc. , allowing you to pivot between them to discover unforeseen relations and connections
Using falcon insight as your EDR solution will provide the following benefits:
DRAMATICALLY REDUCE ATTACKER DWELL TIME:
Pairing full endpoint visibility with indicators of attack (IOAs), Falcon Insight behavioral analytics analyzes events in real time to automatically detect traces of suspicious behavior. It ensures you haven’t been compromised without your knowledge, stops attackers before they can do damage and eliminates the risk of silent failure.
ACCELERATE INCIDENT DETECTION AND RESPONSE:
Automated detections and unparalleled visibility, combined with the built-in intelligence of Falcon Insight, provide the context needed for any security team to quickly investigate, prioritize and respond to even the most sophisticated attacks, leading to faster and more precise remediation.
IMMEDIATE TIME TO VALUE — SAVE TIME, EFFORT AND MONEY:
Cloud-native Falcon Insight doesn’t require any on-premises infrastructure. Once deployed, Falcon Insight immediately begins to detect suspicious activities, without any configuration, baselining or fine tuning. As your security needs grow and mature, you won’t have to find and learn a new solution, because Falcon Insight can scale with you, providing the power and flexibility needed to fulfill any new demands.