- CYBERSECURITY IN THE TIME OF COVID-19
- View Our Resource Hub
The Evolution of Ransomware: How to Protect Organizations from New Trends and Methods
BREAKING DOWN THE NEW TRENDS IN ONLINE EXTORTION THREATS
There’s no question that ransomware is a growing threat. High-profile attacks that crippled multiple U.S. cities made headlines in 2019, including attacks against Baltimore, Maryland and Park City, Utah.
In what may be the biggest attack against a commercial business in history, ZDNet reported that a European manufacturer was forced to pay around $95 million following a ransomware attack. And in a separate incident, BBC reported a large renewable energy company lost access to 22,000 computers in 40 countries, reducing its workforce to using pen and paper until the ransomware infection was resolved.
However, these attacks reflect only the public side of a much larger cybercriminal industry that is constantly innovating its capabilities. In fact, ransomware is one of the fastest-growing threats in cybersecurity, with damages predicted to crest $20 billion globally by 2021, up from “only” $345 million* in 2015.
This paper explains the evolution of ransomware by breaking down the new trends in online extortion threats, and by providing prescriptive advice on how to protect and secure your organization against such an attack.
Read this white paper to learn:
- How ransomware is evolving from a “spray and pray” strategy to focused attacks that promise greater financial payoffs
- The tactics, techniques and procedures used by today’s cybercriminals and how they’re getting more sophisticated
- How ransomware attacks have gone well beyond phishing emails and website popups
- What you can do to stop ransomware in its tracks
For technical information on installation, policy configuration and more, please visit the CrowdStrike Tech Center.Visit the Tech Center